TIPS ON HOW TO LOWER YOUR ENERGY BILL
Everyone wants lower energy bills, luckily, reducing energy costs is easier than you think. Most households can save on energy by updating old, inefficient appliances, making minor household repairs, modifying user habits, and making other smart choices about the consumption of electricity.
Over the years, Southern California Edison has compiled a virtual encyclopedia of valuable home energy tips that are affordable, practical, and easy to employ. Take a few minutes and try one today!
You can improve the lighting in your home and reduce your energy needs without changing your lifestyle or spending a lot of money. Try some of these tips:
- Keep bulbs and fixtures clean.
- Replace light switches with dimmers or motion sensors.
- Switch off all lights when leaving a room.
- Use night-lights when a small amount of light is needed.
- When you are away, use time switches to turn your lights on and off.
- Use outdoor lights with a motion sensor so they operate only at night and when someone is present.
- Use energy saving compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLS). They use less than 25 percent of the electricity standard bulbs use and last ten times longer.
- Use fans whenever possible instead of air conditioning. Fans use far less energy and can sometimes provide the same level of comfort.
- Install your air conditioner in a shady area if possible.
- When buying a new furnace or boiler, look for the Energy Star Label.